Thursday, September 5, 2024

52 With A View: Jennings Peak (plus a Terrifying 25: Algonquin Trail)

Thursday, Sept. 5, 2024 - This is a zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 29 of them so far (green). I'll make it to Jennings Peak today (yellow):

As a BONUS, the Algonquin Trail is also on the Terrifying 25 list:
The "Terrfiying 25" is a list of trails in New Hampshire that have what may seem to be some type of "dangerous activity" associated with them. There are 20 "Required" Trails, plus you select 5-of-14 "Optional" trails. On the map:
Yellow = "Required", have not climbed
Blue = "Optional", have not climbed
Green = "Have Climbed"

It was a LONG HIKE, but a GREAT HIKE:

Right after my Breakfast-in-Boston, I LOVED SEEING a 50-year-old Windsurfer on top of a car!!!

This happens once in a while: Google Maps sends me on a dirt road WHICH IS ACTUALLY CLOSED TO THRU TRAFFIC (I have notified Google Maps):

A Covered Bridge over the Pemigewasset River:

With my detour, I was at The Trailhead at noon:

A really nice hike through the woods for the first hour/2 miles:

And then you start GOING UP:

I think it is on the Terrifying 25 list because there is a ROCK FACE, and you have to grab a tree and haul yourself up (also VERY TRICKY going back down):

There were a couple of "fake summits" going up to Black Mountain:

I hit Black Mountain just before 2 PM - that 3rd mile was a killer - it took 1 hour 7 minutes:

Continuing along The Trail you get a great view to the southeast of Black Mountain Pond:

It was a good "Ridge Trail" from Black Mountain to Sandwich Dome (with some ups and downs):

I hit Sandwich Dome just after 3 PM:

I went back down to the Trail Intersection, with my return-to-the-left, but Jennings Peak off (DOWN) to the right:

GOING DOWN THE TRAIL from Sandwich Dome, I thought about just calling it a day and heading back to my car. I had already gone 4.3 miles to Sandwich Dome; I had done the Terrifying 25 trail, and I REALLY DID NOT LIKE GOING DOWN to my next peak, knowing that I would have to return back UP THIS TRAIL. I even turned around and took 1 step back up. But then I thought "Jennings Peak is only a mile away. If I don't get it now (beautiful day), I'll just have to come back up here again. And What Else Do I Have To Do???" So I turned back around and continued down the mountain and over to Jennings Peak (which had its own little "uphill aspect" to it):

I returned back all the trails, and finished with 10.65 miles in 6 hours 34 minutes (with 2 large water-bottles in my backpack, I did an Excellent Job managing my water):

After 303 miles driving today, I got home a little after 9 PM. Thank You God for this wonderful COMBO DAY ("52 With A View" plus a "Terrifying 25")!

For my listening pleasure today:

Bob Dorough - Sunday at Iridium, 2004 live album, last heard 5/26/2016 - a fun jazz album:

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Yell Fire!, 2006 5th album, last heard 9/23/2016 - Michael Franti hits that wonderful line between ROCK and REGGAE, and does it Very Well:

Michael W. Smith - Worship, 2001 live album, last heard 9/23/2016, contemporary worship music - I kind of like it:

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, 1975 3rd album, last heard 6/16/2016. I CAN NOT BELIEVE that I haven't listened to this album since 2016!!! 8 songs, all CLASSICS: "Thunder Road", "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Night", "Backstreets", "Born to Run", "She's the One", "Meeting Across the River", and "Jungleland" - they still sound magnificent, and still give me chills and tears:

Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using, 1972 debut album, last heard 9/30/2016 - a wonderful album. I remember hearing his interview/live performance on WMMR in Philadelphia right about when this came out my freshman year at Penn. "Doctor, My Eyes" was released as a single, and accompanied me on my first cross-country trip from the middle of May to early June, 1972 (AM radio). Thank you Jackson for a GREAT 52 years (so far):

Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn, 1991 debut album, last heard 9/29/2016 - a nice album in my collection:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment