Thursday, October 3, 2024

52 With A View: Welch & Dickey Mountains

Thursday, October 3, 2024 - This is a zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 31 of them so far (green). I'll make it to Welch & Dickey Mountains today:

Although they are 2 separate mountains, they are counted as a single entry because of The (relatively short) Loop Trail that crosses both peaks.

What a WONDERFUL Day-Hike - 4.2 miles in 2 hours 19 minutes:

As opposed to last week (RAINY), it was clear and sunny. I was up at The Trailhead at 11 AM (along with a few other people):

1 Mile in, keep going up, but a lot of nice steps have been laid:

Wow - at 1.3 miles (40 minutes) I hit the First Main Ledge - we all agreed it is a Wonderful Day:

Looking left up into Waterville Valley, and then to the right:

Turn around and see where I am going next:

It is fun making my way across the ledges, and appreciating the views:

Getting near the summit of Welch Mountain:

The Summit at 12:10

Looking across The Valley to see where I was 2 weeks ago:

Looking north - Dickey Mountain - my next stop:

A nice hike through the col:

I hit Dickey Mountain at 12:30 (along with some firends):

Looking northeast at Mount Tecumseh - my 1st 4000-footer (read that blog here):

I couldn't find the back/side-trail off Dickey Mountain, so I headed down, following cairns and 3 guys ahead of me:

People were just hanging out on a big ledge, with a wonderful view down into the Fall Foliage:

I was back into The Forest 4 miles into the hike:

I was back at my car at 1:23 - GREAT HIKE!

Leaving the area, it was beautiful crossing over Mad River:

What a LOVELY Day! Thank You God for this wonderful "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today:

Afro Celt Sound System - Volume 2: Release, 1999 2nd album, last heard 10/08/2016 - really cool combination of Celtic music with Africian vibes. Having said that, I have 3 of their albums and should probably delete one:

Avicii - True, 2013 debut album, last heard 11/12/2016 - to quote wikipedia "It may be a sprawling hodge-podge, but all this works more often than you'd expect.":

After the hike:

Walter Becker - 11 Tracks of Whack, 1994 debut solo album, last heard 11/12/2016 - Donald Fagen supports on this cd, and it sounds good:

The Steve Miller Band - Your Saving Grace, 1969 4th album, last heard 6/25/2024 - a wonderful album:

Augustines - Augustines, 2014 2nd album, last heard 2/27/2017. I saw these guys on July 20, 2012 - they (and Field Report) opened for Counting Crows at the South Shore Music venue in Cohasset - everybody did GREAT sets!

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment