Friday, July 24, 2026

Terrifying 25: Huntington Ravine Trail

Friday, July 24, 2026 - I have had this on my calendar for 6 months - Hiking Huntington Ravine Trail with daughter Ardath. (I want to bring "a ringer", especially since my lower-back muscles have been kind-of hurting the past few weeks.)

On the map:
Yellow = "Required", have not climbed
Blue = "Optional", have not climbed
Green = "Have Climbed"

Of 33 total trails, I have climbed 21 of them, with 12 to go (4 blue and 8 yellow):

You start at the parking lot at AMC Pinkham Notch Lodge. After 1.3 miles on Tuckerman Ravine Trail, you take a right onto Huntington Ravine Trail for 2.1 miles, then left on Nelson Crag Trail for 0.8 miles. Wendy will meet us at the top of Mount Washington at 3 PM and drive us back down to the bottom. Sounds like a Great Plan:

Wendy and I left home after lunch on Thursday, getting up to Whitney's Inn around 4 - nice dip in the pool! Ardath showed up at 6, and we went next door for dinner at the Shovel Handle Pub:

Friday morning, after breakfast at Yesterday's in Jackson, Ardath drove the-two-of-us up to the parking lot at AMC Pinkham Notch Lodge. It is a perfect day in the White Mountains - temperature in the 70's, and high scattered clouds:

Just 10 minutes up The Trail is Crystal Cascades:

30 minutes/1 mile into the hike:

Another 30 minutes later, and we are going back and forth across (and up) "the brook that drains Huntington Ravine":

I'm just playing "Follow-the-Leader":

The Moss means this Ravine is REALLY WET most of the year:

Of Course there is a WARNING SIGN (along with a yellow blaze):

Ardath went over; I went under:

2-and-1/2 hours (3 miles) into The Hike, you get a nice view of where we are going (UP!!!):

My view up, and Ardath's view back down:

We passed, and then were passed by, a bunch of guys in their 20s. I'm really surprised by the amount of vegetation on this "Trail":

Hanging out after ascending The Fan (the boulder field) - and after help from 2 of these guys pushing my feet UP over a rock:

This Trail is on the "Terrifying 25" list because it is "the most difficult regular hiking trail in the White Mountains". "extreme caution must be exercised at all times." , especially where it ascends "steep, open ledges". It turns out that our next stage is "steep, open ledges"!! Looking UP:

10 minutes later, Looking Back DOWN:

12:44 break:

Warning Sign at The Top of The Trail:

The guys that passed us went over to the other ridge to play:

Still going Up, to the intersection with Alpine Garden Trail:

A view back down at the Mount Washington Auto Road:

Final push to The Summit:

We met Wendy at 3:02, and got our "Summit Photo" a few minutes later:

A picture of the Mount Washington Post Office (ZIP Code 03589):

Time to head back down The Mountain:

We did 4.71 miles in 6 hours 10 minutes (looking up in Google Earth):

Wendy drove us to the bottom of The Mountain. Ardath got her car and headed back to Portland (I'm VERY PROUD to have hiked Mount Katadin and Mount Washington with my daughter - very nice résumé). With me in the back seat, Wendy drove all the way back down to Five Guys in Peabody (I drove home from there). Thank You God for this GREAT "Terrifying 25" Adventure!

For our listening pleasure yesterday and today:

Roxy Music - Avalon, 1982 album, last heard 5/19/2021 - really good album, listened to it twice:

Then Wendy read from a book we are making our way through: Dennis Lehane - The Given Day, 2008. To quote AI: "The Given Day" is an epic 2008 historical novel by Dennis Lehane, set in Boston around World War I, exploring the lives of two families—one white (the Coughlins) and one black (the Laurence family)—amidst social and political turmoil, including the 1919 Boston Police Strike. :

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story, 1971 3rd album, last heard 6/13/2024 - I really like this album ("Maggie May" is my running song [not that I go running anymore, but you know ...]):

Paul Simon - Graceland, 1986 album, last heard 9/02/2021. An excellent way to end this excellent adventure:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment