Thursday, May 9, 2024

52 With A View: Carr Mountain

Thursday, May 9, 2024 - This is a (new) zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 27 of them so far (blue = climbed, yellow = unclimbed, purple = delisted) - I'll be doing Carr Mountain today:

I know it is "de-listed", but I'm curious to see what it is like.

After Thursday Men's Breakfast, 2-and-1/2 hours up to the "Three Ponds Trail" (the trail to Carr Mountain):

After 2 hours, I ran out of asphalt 3 miles from the Trailhead:

Right before the Trailhead, I saw Brown Brook Falls, right by the side of the road:
(no, it is not in the Waterfalls book).

Parking at 11:20

From AllTrails, it looks pretty straightforward - up-and-back:


A nice graphic as you enter the Forest:

The first half-mile is an old logging road:

and then you split off to the left, leaving "Three Ponds Trail" for "Carr Mountain Trail":

You soon have to cross "Sucker Brook":

You then start a nice steady uphill hike, following the yellow blazes:

Very pretty "flowers in a clearing":

It was an hour-and-20-minutes (2.2 miles) before I hit my first snow:

Muddy Trail, but moss and running water everywhere:

A LOT OF SNOW (= postholing) the last 1/2 mile:

I reached The Summit (and the old fire tower support pillars) at 1:47 (2:13 into the hike, 3.23 miles):
Although the summit is bare, I can see why Carr Mountain has been de-listed. It might take more than a weed-wacker to clear the view.

Once out of the snow, it was a nice trail going back down:

Back on the logging road for the final half-mile:

I hiked 6.53 miles in 4 hours 5 minutes:

Good job today, my 2nd hike of The Season. Thank You God for this great "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today, I actually just listened to 2 "albums" that I made: Goodsongs2 (17 songs) and Goodsongs3 (94 songs). This is where I put all those one-hit-wonders, deep cuts, b-sides, and covers.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment