Thursday, May 30, 2024

52 With A View: Mount Pemigewasset

Thursday, May 30, 2024 - This is a zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 28 of them so far (blue = climbed, yellow = unclimbed) - I'll be doing Mount Pemigewasset today:


It is supposed to be nice today up in Franconia Notch, But it is RAINING IN BOSTON:

It is an easy 2-hour-drive up to "Franconia Notch Visitor Center", with its pretty waterfall:

I was at The Trailhead at 11:21

It is a nice hike up through the woods:

In less than an hour I get my first views, just off-trail:

Just a little farther on are "The Real Ledges", starting with a look back at my previous viewpoint:

Then looking South:

I hit The Summit at 12:20

I took "Mount Pemigewasset Trail" (blue blazes) up, but I have the time, so I took "Indian Head Trail" (yellow blazes) back down (and walked back up the road):

I came down next to lovely "Hanson Brook":

I continued down the trail:

and finished "Indian Head Trail" at Route 3:

It took me another 1.1 miles back up Route 3 to get to my car:

I hiked 4.79 miles in 2 hours 29 minutes (I don't know why MapMyWalk put a "5" on the map?):

Back down the road, and Home For Dinner! Thank You God for this great "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today:

Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust, 2005 acoustic album:

Dido - Dido Live, 2005 live album:

various - Dirty Dancing (2 songs), 1987 soundtrack album. This album was at #1 for 18 weeks. My 2 favorite songs are "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" (Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes) and "Do You Love Me" (The Contours):

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South, 2004 fifth album:

various - The Disco Years, Vol. 1: Turn The Beat Around (1974-1978), 1990 - WOW, what a lot of GREAT ENERGY!

Cream - Disraeli Gears, 1967 second album. How can you not LOVE lyrics from the 60's - "Tales of Brave Ulysses":

You thought the leaden winter
Would bring you down forever
But you rode upon a steamer
To the violence of the sun

And the colours of the sea
Bind your eyes with trembling mermaids
And you touch the distant beaches
With tales of brave Ulysses
How his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing
For the sparkling waves are calling you
To kiss their white laced lips

And you see a girl's brown body
Dancing through the turquoise
And her footprints make you follow
Where the sky loves the sea
And when your fingers find her
She drowns you in her body
Carving deep blue ripples
In the tissues of your mind

Tiny purple fishes
Run laughing through your fingers
And you want to take her with you
To the hard land of the winter

Her name is Aphrodite
And she rides a crimson shell
And you know you cannot leave her
For you touched the distant sands
With tales of brave Ulysses
How his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing

Tiny purple fishes
Run laughing through your fingers
And you want to take her with you
To the hard land of the winter


Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment