Thursday, May 2, 2024

52 With A View: Smarts Mountain

Thursday, May 2, 2024 - This is a map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 26 of them so far (black = climbed, yellow = unclimbed, purple = delisted):
This "zoomed-in map" shows the unclimbed - I'll be doing Smarts Mountain today:

the purple one is delisted, and the red one is one I did in the fog, so it doesn't count (for me) for "52 With A View".

After Thursday Men's Breakfast, 2-and-1/2 hours up to the Smarts Mountain Trailhead:

About 3-and-1/2 miles before the Trailhead, I saw a waterfall on Grant Brook, right by the side of the road:
(no, it is not in the Waterfalls book).

Parking at 11:30

From AllTrails, it looks like a good hike:


Got my L.L. Bean boots on, and headed up "Lambert Ridge Trail":

To quote the book - "At 0.7 mi., side trail leads right to ledge with view to Holts Ledge and Dartmouth Skiway":

Some cool ledges going up, which give this mountain "The View":

A nice range of trails through woods and wetlands:

And then you go pretty much "STRAIGHT UP":
Um, YES, those are IRON RUNGS in the rock!!

I hit The Summit at 2 PM:

Although, because of the trees, there is no view at the base of The Tower, there is nothing blocking the stairs, so just climb up:

I made my way back to the intersection of "Lambert Ridge Trail" (coming up from the right) and "Ranger Trail" (going down to the left):

Blue Blazes going back down (White Blazes going up because it is part of The Appalachian Trail):

Nice stream:

In less than an hour I am back on an old logging road:

Back at my car at 3:53

I hiked 7.36 miles in 4 hours 17 minutes:

Good job today, my 1st hike of The Season. Thank You God for this great "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today:

various - Cowabunga! The Surf Box (3 cds), 2007:

Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View, 1994 1st album:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash, 1996 2nd album

Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, 2007

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash, 1969 debut album

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation, 1968 (3rd album with Grace Slick)

Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN, 1977 second album

Richie Havens - Cuts To The Chase, 1994

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment