Thursday, June 13, 2024

52 With A View: Shelburne Moriah Mountain

Thursday, June 13, 2024 - Wendy has a conference-and-dinner in Amesbury today, so I'M GOING HIKING! I made a list of the 25 mountains I have remaining in my New Hampshire "52 With A View" list, and the longest, at 11.2 miles, is Shelburne Moriah Mountain (blue = hiked, yellow = not-hiked):


I saw this great poster in the Rest Stop just north of the Manchester, NH tolls:
Maybe Wendy and I will go up and see Tom Rush August 17, or The Weight Band August 30!

AllTrails has a good map - south/up on Rattle River Trail, then east on Shelburne Trail:

I was at The Trailhead at NOON:

The Trail starts out great, on an old logging road:

As you can imagine, it goes up alongside Rattle River:

After 1-1/2 miles I reached the Rattle River Shelter. Rattle River Trail is on the Appalachian Trail, so I imagine this shelter will see a lot of use over the next few months (pretty quiet today, though. I only saw 1 person, sitting on a rock in The River - we waved to each other):

More river crossings:
(No wonder Monet painted the way he did!)

There was a big blow-down across The Trail at 2-1/2 miles, but I made my way through the woods to get around it. At 3 miles, the Trail is going up:


15 minutes later, the Trail got a lot more VERTICAL:

It is nice walking on the boards, as Rattle River Trail ends and I turn left onto the Shelburne Trail:

The Shelburne Trail is where you get the views:

At 5 miles, I was hiking on boards through a boggy low-area:

Pretty cool sub-alpine region up here:

I reached The Summit at 3:44

Because I had read the-book-with-descriptions, I didn't stop there, but continued only another 0.2 miles to a ledge looking east:

Time to turn around and head on down:

COOL gnarled tree and moss-covered rock on the way down:

Once I'm back on the "nice trail", I can make pretty good time:

Back at my car, I had a fun visitor:

I hiked 10.77 miles in 6 hours 21 minutes (I don't know why MapMyWalk put a "11" on the map?):

That was a hard hike! Back down the road, Dinner in North Conway, and Home at 9! Thank You God for this great "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today:

Van Morrison - Enlightenment, 1990 20th studio album:

Garland Jeffreys - Escapades ep, 1981 4-song ep, packaged with "Escape Artist":

Garland Jeffreys - Escape Artist, 1981, packaged with 4-song "Escapades ep". Time Magazine wrote: "Jeffreys' ambitious and sophisticated synthesis of rock, reggae and jazz could easily become top-heavy. The cool inflections of his passion, however, keep the songs strong and upright, buttressed both by a flair for elegant concert showmanship and a voice that sounds like Frankie Lymon with a college education.":

Blue Öyster Cult - The Essential Blue Oyster Cult (2 songs), 2003. The only 2 songs I like are "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" and "Burnin' For You":

Bruce Springsteen - The Essential Bruce Springsteen [Bonus Disc], 2003 compilation album. A limited-edition third disc includes previously unreleased cuts, B-sides, contributions to soundtracks and benefit albums, covers, and an alternate, "country-blues" acoustic version of "Countin' on a Miracle" from The Rising.:

Dinah Washington - The Essential Dinah Washington, 1992 compilation album - ok, but I don't need to keep it:

Fred Astaire - The Essential Fred Astaire, 2004 compilation album - pretty cool:

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story, 1971 3rd solo album - EXCELLENT MUSIC! "Maggie May" is my running song:

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969 2nd solo album - MORE EXCELLENT MUSIC:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment