Friday, June 19, 2015

My 29th (Mount Jackson) 4,000 footer! (plus Mt. Webster 3910')

This is what I call "The Northeast Group" (the Presidential Range on the left/center, and the Carter-Moriah Range on the right). Today's hike (Friday, June 19, 2015) - Mount Jackson and Mount Webster - is in the purple circle:

x's through Mounts Willey, Field and Tom means that I did them (last July) - I still have the unmarked ones to do (it's going to be a GREAT summer!)

It is easy to get to the trailhead - up 93, through Franconia Notch, right onto 3 North, then 302 South to the AMC Highland Center at Crawford Notch:


I was a little worried as I was going up through Franconia Notch - looks dark and stormy:

but it was clearing as I headed down 302 (that's the Mount Washington Hotel):


Before heading up the Webster-Jackson Trail, I wanted to go around Saco Lake, which was really pretty:






Using Map My Walk, I went up Webster-Jackson Trail (2.5 miles) to get to the Mt Webster summit ("only" 3910 ft, but the triangle-hike makes it more interesting). I then went northeast 1.4 miles along Webster Cliff Trail. Then 2.6 miles back to my car. With twists and turns and overlooks, I covered 8.54 miles in 4 hours 7 minutes. I covered about 4,400 feet in climbing elevation (2200 up and back down):


Only a little way up the trail is a 0.2 mile branch to Elephant Head, which had some beautiful views:



and then back up the trail ("UP" being the key word!)


There is also a great view from Bugle Cliff

DO NOT MISS these side-paths - they add A LOT to the whole "hiking experience"!

To quote the AMC White Mountain Guide, the trail "descends steeply to Silver Cascade Brook, crosses it just below a beautiful cascade and pool, ..."


eventually I got to the top of Mt. Webster!

It was pretty foggy up there (wait, Wendy just told me that they are called "clouds"!)


The Webster Cliff Trail along the ridge is pretty cool:


And it was great getting to the Mount Jackson summit


It was cloudy and very windy on the summit, so some lovely young ladies helped me take my picture.


Going back down was a spring-fed brook

In Virginia, Wendy and I learned that snow-melt streams have bare rocks (changing water flow plus changing water temperatures), while spring-fed brooks have vegetation on the rocks, which grows because the flow is more-regular and the water temps are more stable.

It was beautiful back down in the valley:




An easy ride back down 93 (it was a "parking lot" on the other side heading north), until I hit some traffic just south of 495, so I took 133 East through Andover, to Ipswich, then Harry's Pizza in Beverly Farms; and that's all for today!

Oh, wait. I had my dinner (pizza and root beer) on a bench overlooking Manchester Harbor - where did you have dinner this evening?




Thank you God for a Great Day!

Friday, June 19, 2015 (left at 7 AM, home at 7 PM)
168 miles -- Manchester-by-the-Sea to 93 North, then northeast on 3, then south on 302 (3 hours)
8.54 miles -- hiking (4 hours 7 minutes)
4 hours -- to get home

Continuing to listen to all my songs, in alphabetical order. I listened to 100 songs, beginning in the G's

starting with
G.T.O. 1964 Ronny & The Daytonas Hot Rods & Custom Classics
through
Get Your Way 2005 Jamie Cullum Catching Tales

(don't worry, I won't give you the WHOLE LIST
but it can be accessed here
highlights include

acoustic Sting (Gabriel's Message) followed by Smashing Pumpkins (Galapogos) followed by Arabic Groove (Galbi) followed by Led Zeppelin (Gallows Pole)

Bill Morrissey (Gambler's Blues) followed by Jurassic 5 (Game)

4 versions of R.E.M. doing "Gardening at Night"

"Gear Jammer" by George Thorogood & The Delaware Destroyers

2 versions of "Gentle On My Mind" [Glen Campbell; John Hartford]

3 versions of The Rolling Stones doing "Get Off Of My Cloud" (1 live from "Got Live If You Want It", 1966)

39 songs (so far) beginning with the word "Get"

No comments:

Post a Comment