Friday, September 20, 2019

Adirondacks Sept. 2019 - Day 2/3

Friday, Sept. 20, 2019 - Enough about "camping" and "hiking" - its time to do some MOUNTAIN CLIMBING! I'm now into "The Northeast 111". It is supposed to be the 111 mountains in the Northeast (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, plus New York) over 4000 feet, but, to quote the amc4000footer.org page: When the list was first compiled there were only 111 peaks. Since then, measurements have gotten better, and there are now actually 115 peaks that comprise the list. Since I did the 2 down in the Catskills last May 2018, that leaves the 46 mountains in the Adirondacks:


This area is TOO FAR to day-trip, so I've been a little worried about how I'm going to handle this: rent a cabin-in-the-woods for a summer and just bang them out day-by-day/week-by-week/month-by-month?

But upon looking at the map, it seems like there are areas-of-mountains (consecutive peaks along ridge lines), and therefore maybe I can bag multiple peaks in single days. Let's see what happens!

I was able to bag 6 of them in 2 days last May:

Let's try to hit 3 pairs of them over the next 3 days:


Yesterday I did Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain, so I'll try for Esther Mountain and Whiteface Mountain today:


Although my hotel looks out over (a little part of) Lake Placid, this IS NOT MY HOTEL:

Beautiful Day for a hike!

But first an overview map:

Today's drive:

This morning's drive:


You go northeast on NY-86 East for over 11 miles, right alongside the AuSable River:


Yes, Fall is on its way up here in the High Peaks.

You then pass High Falls Gorge, which Wendy and I visited on May 9, 2017 (the water was ROARING back then), and then you pass the Whiteface Ski Area, which I skied Jan. 27, 2018:


At the trailhead at 9:23


(remember my comment yesterday about "trailhead signage"?)

On the map, this first part of the trail looks like it goes straight uphill. That is the truth:


I got a very nice view from Marble Mountain at 10 AM:


And then it was a cool hike through the woods:


until I reached the clearing/intersection with the side-trail to Esther Mountain at 11 AM:



The side-trail went down-and-up, and I was at the top of Esther at 11:47


Looking southwest from the Esther Mountain plaque, seeing my next destination - Whiteface Mountain:


Very nice trails, hiking past a ton of moss, and then you break out onto a ski-maintenance trail:

and then quickly see the ski lift:


After hiking upward on the trail:

it is QUITE A SHOCK encountering the Retaining Wall for the "Whiteface Mountain Memorial Highway":


Turn Left.

From there, it is a really cool hike up along the granite trail (keep to the yellow blazes) up to the mountaintop:


Looking East - Great view DOWN on the Whiteface Ski Area:

I got to the summit at 1:36



Gosh, I don't remember all these people on the trail - they must have left the parking area much earlier than I did.

Having said that, I do remember this little girl:

She's 12, and her brother is 14, and they hiked up with their Mom and Dad!! Yeah, that makes me feel Real Special.

Super nice view of Lake Placid:

as well as a final look northeast at my return hike:

How it looks in Google Maps, with my path:


WOW - what a great hike! 10.7 miles in 6 hours 15 minutes:


I got back to my hotel at 4:20, to see "fall ablaze":

the view from my 2nd-floor window:


I took a nice hot bath, and played with my computer. But I realized that it was 5 o'clock, and I had time to check-out one of these weird "Trailheads" up here in the High Peaks (there are more-than-a-few mountains that seem to be WAY OFF THE TRACK, and I have to figure this out). So I drove down the road to get to the Seward Trailhead (the trailhead for Seward Mountain):

There is a nice sign just off NY-3 West:

It looks like a nice road:

It soon turned to dirt. Got down to the Trailhead at 6:13

So now I know exactly where I have to start to get to Seward Mountain, Mt. Donaldson, Mt. Emmons, and Seymour Mountain:

Another Day, Another Adventure.

But as for Today: Pizza and Vin Diesel movie on the SyFy Channel ("The Last Witch Hunter") - Thank you God for this Great Adventure Day!

Let's get today right into music:

Garland Jeffreys - Guts for Love, 1983

I liked this so much I listened to it twice.

Neil Diamond - His 12 Greatest Hits, 1974


Phil Collins - No Jacket Required, 1985

This album won three Grammy Awards, including for Album of the Year in 1986. How soon we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment