Sunday, June 22, 2014

My 1st 4,000 footer - Mount Tecumseh!

I did church at 6 PM last night, so today it is off to climb my first 4,000 footer in New Hampshire.

I grabbed this map of the Applachian Mountain Club's list of 4000-footers


I will get started with the "Southern Group":


Mount Tecumseh is the middle-lowest point just east of the Woodstock town name. It is above/behind the Waterville Valley ski area, so go up 93 to exit 28, then east on 49. Take the north (left) turnoff for the ski area (Tripoli Road), then take the turn-off for the ski area. Park in Lot 1, and the entry is at the north end of the parking lot:


I used Map My Walk - the whole trip took 2 and 3/4 hours and covered about 2,200 feet in climbing elevation (up, then 2,200 feet back down) (about 5.5 miles hiked):

I paused the app at the View, and forgot to start it for 25 minutes (that is the straight line going up). It took me 1-1/2 hours to get to the top, and then 1 hour 10 minutes to get back down (via the ski slopes!)

Going up, I crossed over a pretty brook


There is a nice View turnout about 1/3 of the way up:


The trail up from there was steep, but workers/volunteers have done a amazing amount of work putting stepping-blocks into the trail:


a very nice view just below the summit:


my selfie - the cairn in the background marks the summit:


my lunch-time friends let me borrow their blackboard for my "official" photo:


Another beautiful view back down the mountain:


Under the chair-lift at the top of Walerville Valley ski slopes:


half-way down the ski slopes:


wildflowers on the ski slopes:


Sunday, June 22, 2014
Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
1 hour -- Natural Gas fill-up in Everett, MA
2 hours -- up to Exit 28, 93 North
1/2 hour -- to Mount Tecumseh trailhead
2 3/4 hours -- hiking
1/2 hour -- back to 93 South
2 hours -- to get home

here is today's playlist:

Actually, I am currently listening to all my songs, in alphabetical order. I was in the A's today.

No comments:

Post a Comment