Thursday, July 17, 2014

My 2nd (Mount Osceola) and 3rd (East Osceola) 4,000 footers!!

Last week was pouring rain all Wednesday, so no hiking Thursday. Yesterday, however, it was a relatively light rain, so I took a chance on my next 4,000-footer hike today. SUCCESS!!

Keeping in the "Southern Group", June's Mount Tecumseh is in green, while today's hike (Mount Osceola and East Osceola) are in the red circle:


Mount Osceola and East Osceola are north of Mount Tecumseh, but off the same Tripoli Road. From my Thursday Morning Men's Breakfast in Boston, go 125 miles up 93 to exit 31, then east on Tripoli Road (starts out paved, but quickly reverts to dirt)


I used Map My Walk - the whole trip took 4 and 1/2 hours (9 miles hiked) and covered about 5,200 feet in climbing elevation (1,900 up, 450 down, 250 up, then return):


Going up 93, I stopped at the White Mountain National Forest Headquarters off exit 27. I needed some clarification about "parking policies" ($3 per day/ one-year pass 1 vehicle $20/ one-year pass 2 vehicles $25). But I showed them my National Parks card/pass, and they said "Oh, that's fine. Just put it on your dashboard." Hooray!


The information booth:


The trail sign (only 4.2 miles to go!):


The best method (for me) is "boulder-hopping, and keep leaning forward". It is trickier going downhill, leaning a little backwards.


I passed several groups of campers:


A beautiful view at the top of Mount Osceola:


and my "offical" photo - pretty stunning day!


those kids are at the edge of a cliff - no thanks for me!!


down the trail to the east, then up to the East Osceola summit (wooded on top):


looking north returning from East Osceola:


This hand-over-hand climb is known as "The Chimney" - yes, it goes just about straight up!!:


East Osceola from Mount Osceola summit:


some of the kids I passed on the way up, now at the summit - pretty good for campers!!:


near the summit I found some junk metal, which I was able to carry 3 miles back down to my car. I love cleaning up the world!


and the end of a GREAT DAY!


Thursday, July 17, 2014
Boston, MA
125 miles -- up to Exit 31, 93 North (2 hours)
6.7 miles on Tripoli Road -- to Mount Osceola trailhead (20 minutes)
9 miles -- hiking (4 1/2 hours)
6.7 miles/20 minutes -- back to 93 South
2 1/2 hours -- to get home

here is today's playlist:

Actually, I am currently listening to all my songs, in alphabetical order. I was in the C's today: from Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John to Cassidy (live) by the Grateful Dead (Reckoning acoustic album).

No comments:

Post a Comment