Thursday, June 14, 2018

NE 100 Highest - Sandwich Dome, New Hampshire

Thursday, June 14, 2018 - Having completed the "New England 4000 footers" last year, the next list is the "New England 100 Highest", which includes (of course) the 67 mountains over 4,000 feet, plus another 33 - my map of the 33:


One of my unclimbed mountains in New Hampshire is Sandwich Dome (3993'). It is next to Waterville Valley (Exit 28 off 93 North), and it actually HAS A TRAIL:

You can match it with MapMyWalk:

9.17 miles in 4 hours 15 minutes (up Sandwich Mountain Trail and down Drakes Brook Trail).

I took a friend Eric in-and-out to the Thursday breakfast. Doesn't he have a nice backyard/neighborhood??:


I got up to the trailhead at noon, and started the hike:


Less than 5 minutes later I was crossing a beautiful little brook:


Although it can be steep sometimes, the Sandwich Range Wilderness is a great place to hike:

There are a couple of nice viewpoints on the trail:

The view east is very nice:

But I am a little worried when looking south, up at Sandwich Dome:

(at least I think that is Sandwich Dome.)

I got to Jennings Peak (which at 3460' is not on any "list", but it is supposed to have a great view to the southwest) at 1:50:




um, I don't really see much of ANYTHING!

It is a nice trail heading up to Sandwich Dome:

Which I reached around 2:30:

As you can see behind me, there ain't nothing out there!


Back down to the intersection with Drakes Brook Trail, which I took back to the trailhead:



At 4:12 I was heading down the final stretch of Drakes Brook Trail (which is also the bottom section of Fletcher's Cascade Trail):


Finished at 4:15, and I made it to Liberty Tree Mall at 6:20 for the 6:30 showing of Ocean's 8:

(no "fun impromptu family candid photo" because of "artistic differences".)

Wow de Wow de Wow! Thank you God for these wonderful adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment