Friday, June 29, 2018

Vermont Day 1/3 - Stratton Mountain

Friday, June 29, 2018 - Having completed the "New England 4000 footers" last year, the next list is the "New England 100 Highest", which includes (of course) the 67 mountains over 4,000 feet, plus another 33 - my map of the 33:


Aside from the 2 "Jay Peak" mountains in northern Vermont I climbed last October, I did "Bread Loaf Mtn", "Mount Wilson" and "Pico Peak" earlier this month, leaving 4 other unclimbed mountains in Vermont:

Wendy gave me permission to do 3 days/2 nights in Vermont to hike the remaining 4 mountains: Stratton, Equinox, Dorset and Mendon (and see The Marshall Tucker Band playing at Stratton Mountain Ski Area on Saturday!) So I'm going to do Stratton today:


At a dinner in Boston last week, I heard John Koch, Executive Director of the Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center speak about the Camp. Since I was going to be driving to Southern Vermont, I emailed him about visiting, and he invited me for lunch! Tonight I will be camping at "Camping on the Battenkill" in Arlington, VT, which equals 184 miles driving - 4 hours 24 minutes:


It is supposed to take just under two hours to get to the Camp, so I did my Step Class at the MAC, and left a little after 10 - and got there at 11:59 for NOON LUNCH!! The dining center was busy with counselors getting ready for camp-opening:

There was a nice cross in their meeting building:

and Otter Lake was beautiful:



At some point in Vermont, you take a left off of VT-30 North onto VT-100 South, and cross a bridge over a beautiful river (the West River):

looking upstream:

looking downstream:


I missed taking pictures of two very funky/cool old Post Offices back in New Hampshire, so when I saw this one in West Wardsboro, Vermont, I just had to stop:


7 miles later on "Stratton-Arlington Road" (closed in winter), I got to the trailhead:


This 7.63 miles (round-trip) hike (2 hours 59 minutes, 43 seconds) is on a trail that serves both the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail, so it is about as good/well-maintained as any trail in Vermont:


It was pretty walking through the woods, but is was pretty wet (we just had thunder storms come through yesterday):



At the summit of Stratton is a fire tower:

WHICH YOU CAN CLIMB!!

If you want VIEWS, this is the place to be:
looking south (at Somerset Reservoir):

looking west (across the Valley of Vermont and on into New York State):

looking north (Stratton ski peak near, Bromley ski trails far):

Looking east (looking down on Forester Pond):


Two hours later I was down at my campsite in Arlington:

I was over at site 1A:


A nice space just waiting for my tent.

I had a steak dinner at the restaurant just over the bridge, and into my sleeping bag as it got dark. - Thank you God for these wonderful adventures!!

Today's driving music started with a new cd I just learned about (and bought):

various artists - On the Mountain Six, 2000 compliation album from Seattle radio station The Mountain 103.7 FM

It includes a live version of Counting Crows doing "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby"

Then, of course, I wanted to hear the whole album:
Counting Crows - This Desert Life, 1999


Time to get ready for tomorrow's concert:
The Marshall Tucker Band - Anthology: The First 30 Years, 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment