Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Gulf Hagas Area, Maine

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - Up and at 'em in the early morning light:


A final look at First Roach Pond:

and then a really nice look at Moosehead Lake:



After two days in a row, today is a non-mountain-climbing day. The New England Waterfalls book makes a specific mention of The Gulf Hagas Area (hay-gas, not the Scottish food):

It is known as the "Grand Canyon of Maine". I've seen the "Grand Canyon of Arizona", so I am excited! And it is right in this area:

especially when seen in the context of today's entire drive:


Got to the parking area at 8:30:


I don't know if you can read the sign at the bottom, but it says "Do not underestimate this trail. This is a tough, rigorous hike" - Just what I want on my "day off"!

You hike down a trail, then wade through the West Branch Pleasant River, looking across:

looking upstream:

looking downstream:

and then once across, looking back across the River:


The first mile is actually the ubiquitous Appalachian Trail. I had a nice hike with a guy who was going north:


You then cross over Gulf Hagas Brook:

to hike the Rim Trail:

It's 9:30, and Screw Auger Falls is in the dark/shade. I'll see what it's like when I return at mid-day.

Except for when you encounter the half-dozen viewpoints:

the Rim Trail is a twisty-turny up-and-down mountain trail, in excellent condition


You occasionally get a "View of the Gulf":



And then you get to some real waterfalls:
Buttermilk Falls:

Billings Falls:


and Stair Falls:



After all that excitement, it's nice to see the calm up at the Head of the Gulf:



Before we leave the "Grand Canyon of Maine", I think this is one of my favorite upstream shots - a ledge/overlook, with the forest crowding in on the canyon and the River below:

And a favorite looking downstream:


I headed back east on the Pleasant River Tote Trail, and took the Appalachian Trail Cut-Off - it was a little more wild:


I went south on the AT to my afternoon shot of Screw Auger Falls:


Looking North/upstream - sorry I missed the noon lighting.

I finished hiking 10.93 miles in 5 hours 5 minutes - WAIT, I thought this was going to be my DAY OFF:



It was 3 PM when I made it back down to Jamos Pizza for my final sub there, and I had a nice phone chat with Wendy, then headed down the road to Sratton, Maine and Cathedral Pines Camp Ground, where I got all set up before dinner at the White Wolf Inn:

final evening shot of where I will be going for a morning dip tomorrow:


THANK YOU GOD again for this great adventure!

Today's driving music was the 7th group of the "G" songs from my big iPod. I made it through 68 songs (click here for the list of songs), beginning with:

Dave Matthews - "Gravedigger" from the album Some Devil, 2003


and ending with:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - "Grey Street" from the album Some Devil [Live] [Disc 2], 2003


highlights include:

Pink Floyd - "The Great Gig In The Sky", 2 versions: The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) and Pulse [Live] (2 cds) (1995)


Wynton Marsalis - "Green Chimneys" (the 15:49 version) from Live At The House Of Tribes, 2005 (from 2002 concert)


Donald Fagen - "Green Flower Street" from the album The Nightfly 1982


Booker T. & The MG's - "Green Onions" from the album Atlantic Rhythm & Blues 1947-1974 Disc 5, 1962 single


John Coltrane - "Greensleeves" from the album Standards, 2001 (originally on his Africa/Brass 1961 album)

No comments:

Post a Comment