Sunday, September 27, 2020

52 With A View: Stinson Mountain

Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020 - So far I have done 6 of the "52 With A View" (zoomed-in on the unhiked mountains):
Today I'm going to tackle Stinson Mountain.

I'm actually on my way back to the Adirondacks.
(These side-trips are getting a little longer, Jessie Bear)

This adds an extra 40 miles (1 hour 7 minutes) driving:
I think these "52 With A View" are becoming trips-in-themselves.

In the morning I saw my Wonderful Wife preach her sermon at our "Summer on the Green" church service (outside on the lawn at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary):
and then I headed down the road.

Up in New Hampshire, the trees are ablaze:

I reached the trailhead at 2:45

WELL, ISN'T THIS A NICE TRAIL:

After you are on the trail for 0.9 miles, you are then on a snowmobile path for 0.2 miles:
which is also really nice. I can't wait to come down it!

I encountered a cute family group coming down, at the next trail intersection (mask-up Jessie Bear). The Dad was carrying baby-in-a-backpack, and I asked "It this his first?", and Dad said "No." That also happened with another family group! It is really nice to see these families out here on the mountains!

After hiking for about an hour, you break out near the summit:

As you get closer, there is a side-path with a north view of Stinson Lake:

Going back to the summit, you get super views to the south:

In my research, I discovered a map-of-the-trail:
that also included these dotted lines for "STINSON MOUNTAIN FIREROAD", which in my reading is also a snowmoblie trail. Since I always like to make loops (instead of just straight up-and-down), I took that "other trail" down:

The view from Google Earth, looking up the mountain from the trailhead:

It was beautiful coming back down:

I did 4.02 miles in 1 hour 34 minutes, finishing at 4:20 PM. Pretty view of Stinson Lake as I drove back down:

I had calculated that it was 4 hours to get from here to Lake Placid - I'm not a big fan of "driving in the dark", but sometimes you do what you have to do. It was an easy drive, and I got to the Quality Inn in Lake Placid (310 miles today) at 8:30. Thank you God for this Great "52 With A View" Day!

Albums I have not shared with you before, starting with:

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale, 1974
To quote wikipedia: "Fulfillingness' First Finale was Wonder's first album to top the Billboard Top LPs and Tapes chart, where it remained for two weeks. It also reached number one on the Billboard Soul LPs chart, spending nine non-consecutive weeks there. Fulfillingness' First Finale won three Grammy Awards at the 16th Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year."

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II, 1971 double-album
Excellent album, and one standout previously unreleased cut: one song from Dylan's April 12, 1963 Town Hall concert, "Tomorrow Is a Long Time". I have to get/assemble that concert - the sound quality is excellent.

Blondie - Blondie Live, 1999 live album

Blondie - Greatest Hits: Sight + Sound, 2005
OK - this really needs thinning. I do not need 22 songs by Blondie.

Zero 7 - simple things, 2001 debut album
I was just going to listen-then-delete, but I really like this. Texture/atmospheric/melodic stuff.

various artists - The Last Kiss, 2006 movie soundtrack

various artists - Life As We Know It, 2010 movie soundtrack

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment