Saturday, August 12, 2023

52 With A View: Black Mountain (Benton)

Thursday, August 10, 2023 - This is a zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 22 of them so far. I'll be doing Black Mountain (Benton) today:


I started at my Breakfast-in-Boston and then went 2-and-1/2 hours north:

It is a beautiful day in New Hampshire:

I reached the Trailhead a little before noon. I'll be taking the Chippewa Trail up to the summit of Black Mountain:

It is supposed to be s short hike (less than 4 miles round-trip), but also a "Hard" hike (one guy wrote "STEEP"). We'll see:

After one mile you are going up (pretty vertical) through the woods:

The trail is pretty easy to follow, but it does get gnarly:

My first view looks west:
But I still have a bit to go to get to the Summit:
Up at almost-the-Summit, I went straight (and came back down on the left):

I made the Summit at 1:10

I did a nice "blow-up shot" of the mountains-beyond-mountains:

And the rock-ridge that I went along up here is pretty cool:

Back down into the woods at 1:23

Sometimes having the "Trail Blaze" on a tree is not such a good idea:

My blazes are yellow, so it was interesting seeing blue blazes:

I wound up doing 3.5 miles in 2 hours 18 minutes:

I got home for dinner at 6:30 - Thank You God for this wonderful "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today - all from a cd I burned 20 years ago, in wma format:

Going North:

Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks Volume 8, 1970 concert triple-album
from Wikipedia: "Dick's Picks Volume 8 is the eighth live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on May 2, 1970, at Harpur College (now Binghamton University) in Binghamton, New York. It was released in mid-1997. In a 1993 poll of Grateful Dead tape traders, the 5/2/70 show was ranked #6 on the list of all-time favorite Dead concert tapes."

Going South:

Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls, 1989 debut album (on a major label)
For our 10th Anniversary, Wendy and I saw Neil Young down at The Tweeter Center (Mansfield, Mass.), and the Indigo Girls opened for him. They did a good tight show with songs from this album.

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder, 1988 live double-album
Excellent music, played loud (because I'm on the highway), but I can still hear the music. The last time I listened to this live double-album was October 2014.

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell, 1994
I Love This Album. The last time I listened to this album was September 2013.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment