Tuesday, August 22, 2023

52 With A View: Mount Wolf (delisted)

Thursday, August 17, 2023 - This is a zoomed-in map of the New Hampshire "52 With A View" - I have climbed 23 of them so far. I'll be doing Mount Wolf (delisted) today:

The "52-With-A-View" list was started in 1990. Since then. primarily because of forest growth (those darn trees just keep growing UP), 2 peaks have been "delisted" - Mount Wolf and Carr Mountain. But, as they say in The Book: "... both peaks are described here in detail for both historical purposes as former list peaks and for 52WAV completists." I guess I'm a "completist".

I started at my Breakfast-in-Boston and then went "a little over 2 hours" north:

Clouds/Mist in New Hampshire:
I was actually FINE with the clouds/mist. Mount Wolf is actually "Delisted" because the forest has grown-up, but it will be a Great Hike through the woods (and up a Mountain!). Parked a little after 11:

I will be hiking on Kinsman Ridge Trail, which is part of the Appalachian Trail:

It is REALLY WET up here. I really like this moss-covered boulder:

On the other hand, I really DO NOT LIKE the mud, and the non-draining trails, and I feel that I (as a citizen of New England) have to apologize to all the AT thru-hikers for the lousy quality of this particular trail:


In one spot, these log-walkways are a couple of inches under water:

I prefer to think of these woods as "lush":

After about 4 miles I reached the side-trail up to the "Outlook":

Not much "outlook" up at the "Outlook":

I went back down to the main trail, and back-tracked 0.2 miles to the "herd path" which goes up to the Summit:
Up at the Summit, I can see why the mountain was delisted:

4 miles back on the A.T.

I wound up doing 8.42 miles in 5 hours 26 minutes - excellent workout:

Wendy was out at a play, so I got a pizza from Ellie's Pizza and a green pepper from Crosby's, and settled in for a wonderful evening. Thank You God for this great "52 With A View" day!

For my listening pleasure today - all from a cds I burned 20 years ago, in wma format:

Wendy and I did a day-trip to Block Island this week. As we were coming home, we listened to the triple-album Woodstock - the music still SOUNDS GREAT! So today I'm starting with "the next album from Woodstock":

various artists - Woodstock Two, 1971 live double-album
Some good music (Crosby, Stills and Nash, Jefferson Airplane), but a lot of garbage (Melanie, Mountain), and I'm not a fan of the Hendrix material on the album.

Broadway - A Chorus Line, 1975 Broadway cast album
So, last night Wendy and I saw a new episode of "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" called "Subspace Rhapsody". They encounter a subspace anomaly which randomly forces members of the crew to burst into song (and dance), and they can only break out of it by EVERYONE (Klingons included) SINGING (and dancing)! Well, with that under my belt, this Broadway album is the perfect thing for today.

The Allman Brothers Band - An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: 2nd Set, 1995 live album
Excellent music, played loud (because I'm on the highway), but I can still hear the music. A 10-minute acoustic version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"; 12:32 of "Back Where It All Begins", and ending with 16 minutes of "Jessica"!!!

The Beach Boys - Endless Summer, 1974 compilation album
21 songs, going from "Surfin' Safari" (1962) up to "Good Vibrations" (1967) - A GREAT COLLECTION!

The Bo Deans - Joe Dirt Car, 1995 double live-album
I only listened to a half-dozen "best songs" on this album. That was enough.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about visiting Art Museums and National Parks (and hiking in the Rockies)
hyperlink: dixonheadingwest
http://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment