Friday, August 17, 2018

NE 100 Highest (#95) - Dorset Peak, Vermont

Friday, August 17, 2018 - Wendy is leading a retreat up at Thendara (Vergennes, Vermont), so I'm doing an "art-and-climbing" day trip:

The day sure started out pretty enough:



I got down to the Bennington Museum by 10:28, for my 10:30 meeting with Collections Manager Callie Raspuzzi

I LOVE getting to go "back behind the scenes":

The Thomas Moran piece is an etching/engraving from Scribner's Popular History of the United States, Vol. I, (1897 edition) titled "Lake Champlain":

the detail is Beautiful


The Museum also had a wonderful map- "A Map of the Most Inhabited Part of New England", 1774:



Lunch at the Subway in Manchester Center, then another misty day in New England - trailhead at 12:33:


I had previously attempted this hike on Saturday, June 30, but had not done enough research, and never reached the "true summit". SUCCESS this time! 7.14 miles in 2 hours 53 minutes:


The trail starts out very nice:

At some point, although the "road" curves off to the left, you follow the trail up to the right (marked by a big cairn):


About a mile in, the trail passes an old house/structure:

And then goes UP UP UP

alongside a beautiful spring-fed brook:



Hey Mom, I found this Really Cool Rock!! Can I have it??

Oh, wait, it won't even fit into my backpack ...

1 hour, and 2.25 miles after starting, I reached "The T intersection":

and turn right onto a lovely path:


10 minutes later I was at the intersection, getting ready to go up the upper trail:

15 minutes later I DID NOT go up the "trail to the fake summit" (even though it has a really nice cairn):


A few minutes later I was at the clearing with its nice sign to the correct summit:



15 minutes later (after going through some VERY WET areas), I reached "the true summit":



Going back down through the beautiful green forest ("the Green Mountain State"):

And Yes, that soggy-boggy-wet-waterfilled area IS THE PATH:


1/2 mile from the bottom, there may be confusion - stay on the path curving to the right, NOT the dry stream bed straight ahead:


I finished at 3:26, and headed home. Well, not "straight home" - I backtracked a couple of miles to visit the Norcross West Marble Quarry - "the oldest marble quarry in the United States". These days it is an AWESOME Swimming Hole, right next to the main road (Route 30 in Dorset):




More Vermont beauty driving back to Vergennes:



Great getting back to Thendara, on Lake Champlain:

and seeing my beautiful bride down there on the dock:


I left this morning at 7:25, returned at 6:10 - a Good Long Day. Thank you GOD for these wonderful adventures!

Today's music from my big iPod:

Pat Metheny Group - Letter from Home, 1989

In 1990, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Jazz Fusion Performance.

O Positive - A great EP ("Only Breathing") followed by an even greater EP ("Cloud Factory") on one CD, 1996


O Positive - toyboatToyBoAtTOYBOAT, 1990


Santana - Abraxas, 1970


Love - Love Story 1966-1972

I really liked Love's first album in 1966; I bought it before I even went to St. Paul's. As an Amazon reviewer says: "but these songs take me back to a time when the world was changing". Excellent "Garage Band" music, but better musicianship.

The Who - Live at Leeds, 1970 live album

I trimmed my cd-rip down from 14 songs to the original 6 songs on the original album, and I LOVE IT!

The Clash - London Calling, December 1979 live double album

There was a moment there, in the 2nd half on 1979 - we were living in New York City - there was a moment there that The Clash was the most important band in the world. Tom Carson writing about September 21, 1979: The Clash rock New York’s The Palladium:

The musicians’ confidence was evident at every turn. Lead guitarist Mick Jones and bassist Paul Simonon leaped around as if no stage could hold them; Nicky Headon’s drums cracked through the music with the authority of machine-gun fire. The group’s perfect ensemble timing – the two guitars locking horns above the percussion; the way Jones’ ethereal, incantatory backup vocals filled the gaps in Joe Strummer’s harsh leads – went beyond mere technical mastery; it was audible symbols of the band’s communal instinct.

I'm glad I was able to get this LOUD ROCK AND ROLL BAND STUFF out of my system (at least for a little while).

No comments:

Post a Comment