Wednesday, August 1, 2018

NE 100 Highest - South Weeks, New Hampshire

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 - Third Time's The Charm! Left home at 6:30 AM, Cumberland Farms coffee in Concord, NH, and started my hike to South Weeks at 10:20:


14 miles, and 6 hours later, I finished at 4:20 PM.

I'm really not a fan of "having to climb a 4000-footer in order to get to another mountain".

When this is the second time in 4 weeks, this whole "hiking thing" starts to wear a little thin.

I had plenty of water (4 big bottles, plus 1 small one), and plenty of time - I figured I could allocate 5 hours to making my way around the infamous blow-downs of Kilkenny Ridge Trail - one hour per mile:


I made it to the Starr King summit by noon, and got my first view of South Weeks:


The trail from Starr King to Mount Waumbek was very nice:

unless you find it a little annoying to BE PASSED BY A 19 year old and the two little kids hiking with him!!!


Passed through Mount Waumbek and got a nice view at the viewpoint just beyond it, at 12:30:


The cloudy skies meant that I stayed relatively cool in my long-sleeved shirt and firehose pants.

I moved pretty quickly along the Kilkenny Ridge Trail, and then I saw that THE BLOW-DOWNS HAD BEEN CUT THROUGH:


which made it a Wonderful Trail!!

This was a "Before" picture from 4 weeks ago:


I made the cairn on South Weeks at 1:50 (no sign or canister):

And here is pair of before-and-after pictures I took on my way back down:
4 weeks ago:

today:

It was almost an ecstatic experience going through the chainsaw cuttings - not unlike the first time I returned over the Bourne Bridge and continued straight onto 495 (no more fiddling with Route 6 in Bourne).

I finished at 4:20. Coming down I kept thinking of the line from Drive-By Truckers "Gravity's Gone": But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floatin'

I bought 2 pairs of socks at L.L Bean Outlet in Concord, NH (HUGE THUNDERSTORM), and Home at 8:30 (my right thigh muscle is all healed). WOW - THANK YOU GOD again for these great adventures!

I don't know if you are counting (I AM!!), but that was #91 on the New England 100 Highest - 2 in Vermont and 7 in Maine remaining!!

Today's driving music was "F" albums:

Fables of the Reconstruction by R.E.M., 1985


The Falcon and the Snowman by the Pat Metheny Group, 1985


The Family That Plays Together 2nd album by Spirit, 1968

Starts with a great song - "I Got a Line on You"

Family Tree by Tom Chapin, 1988

I have NEVER listened to this whole album, all the way through. It does, of course, have "A Long Way Home", which my girls HAVE MEMORIZED, and I still love.

Fans by Malcolm McLaren, 1984

35 years ago a friend played "Madam Butterfly", which still sounds FANTASTIC!

Far by Regina Spektor, 2009


Fate of Nations by Roger Plant, 1993


Fearless by Taylor Swift, 2008


... Featuring Norah Jones by Norah Jones, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment