Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Adirondacks July 28-29-30-31, Days 1 & 2

Tuesday, July 28 and Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - Up to now I have done 17 of the 46 mountains (4000 footers) in the Adirondacks, and I want to do 2-mountains-in-4-days:


Allen Mtn. on Wednesday and Seymour Mtn. on Thursday.

People keep asking if I have learned anything during this "Adirondacks Mountain Climbing Process", and the answer is Yes:

1. Because these mountains are so big, and this area is a big drive from home, DO NOT DRIVE AND CLIMB IN THE SAME DAY. It never ends well.

2. As for the hike itself, try to remember that "it is not a race", and that instead of playing jack-rabbit during the first few miles, I should just take it easy and walk comfortably. I have also decided to bring my nanos and boom cubes, and see how "music on the trail" works out.

I left home after lunch, got a Jiffy Lube oil change and headed down 128:

HOT in Massachusetts!

Then up 93 into New Hampshire, northwest on 89 into Vermont, then over into New York State and down to Ticondaroga:


It was another beautiful day in Vermont, and I saw a really cool "mountain cardiogram" bumper sticker:

I'm ordering one when I get home!

234 miles today, checked in about 6:30 - Thank you God for a great drive!

I like starting the drive off listening to books-on-tape. Neal Stephenson (a sci-fi author I really like) wrote one of his early novels Snow Crash in 1992, cd 4:


then good driving music on my iPod:

Cheap Trick - at Budokan, 1979 live album

This album has THREE GREAT SONGS, any one of which gets this band into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame: "Ain't That a Shame", "I Want You to Want Me", and "Surrender", and they are wonderful heading northwest on 89 in New Hampshire on a sunny day with the windows rolled down and the sun-roof open!

Collective Soul - 7even Year Itch, 2001 greatest hits album


that took me to my exit in Vermont, so it was time to listen to some Very Cool jazz:

Christian Scott - Yesterday You Said Tomorrow, 2010


Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, 1973


At the 16th Grammy Awards, it won Album of the Year.

Thank you God for a very nice travel-day!

----------------------------

Wednesday hike: This morning it is an hour's drive to get to the Trailhead Parking:


Nice and cool starting out:


Sure is BEAUTIFUL driving up here in the Adirondacks:


Today I'll do Allen Mountain (west-to-east):


It is either 5.1 or 5.3 miles on Trail 123 ("Flowed Lands via Hanging Spear Falls"), then "4 hours" up the herd path to Allen Mountain - I figure about 20 miles up-and-down. Other people have taken 11 1/2 hours, but I feel like I am in great shape, and should be able to budget 10 hours.

Just before the trailhead parking is The MacIntyre Iron Furnace:



At the trailhead a little before 8 AM:


Nice, easy-going hike for the first relatively-flat 5 miles (see "What I have learned" above). A funky bridge over the HUDSON RIVER:




Going around the top of Lake Jimmy:



Nice hike for the next few miles:



After 4 miles, you take a sharp right to ford the Opalescent River - because "the bridge is out":




Once you have rock-hopped (easy-beazy) across the river, you can look back at where you came from:

and then turn back around to see where you are going:


After about 5 1/3 miles (a hand-made sign goes straight: MARCEY), you take a right onto the Allen Mountain herd path. After another 1/3 mile, I stopped for "elevensiees" (actually it was 10:13):

and that is where I left my big water bottle, for when I came back down.

You zig-zag through an open gravel-pit area (and sign-in at another shelter), and a half-hour later cross Lower Twin Brook:


Still hiking an hour later:


which is actually when you get to Allen Brook, and start going UP:

I am 8 miles into the hike (it has been great), but now I'm going straight up for a mile-and-a-half!! The "trail" alternates being an actual trail (to the right of the brook), and just scrambling up the rock/brook itself:



Once in a while you get a nice view out:

and once in a while you have to look back down, to see where you have come from:


At 12:40 I broke out onto the ridgeline, and 30 minutes later I was at the summit:


As you can see, there is not much "view" there, so keep going only another 20 yards to the (GREAT) viewpoint:



I headed back down. Because I was carrying my hiking poles (lesson for tomorrow: leave the poles at the bottom of the climb up Seymour Mountain), this spot on the "trail" down was about where I wiped out (the first time - yes, I wiped out twice)[talk about "Blood On The Tracks"]:


I washed off in a stream,

but unfortunately my fall(s) wrecked the boom cube! Fortunately, I brought a spare, and listened to my purple nano on "Shuffle Songs" all the way home!

When all was said and done, I hiked 19.57 miles in 9 hours 42 minutes. It was a really good hike, and I like the changes I am putting into practice.

A one-hour drive back to the Super 8. Meatball sub for dinner/turkey sub for breakfast-lunch tomorrow. 121 miles driving today.

A nice phone call with Wendy, and then Lights Out - Thank you God for this Great Day!

Wednesday morning drive to the trailhead:

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now, 1974 live double album


One of the things I am experimenting with on this trip is listening to music while I hike. Sure, I have always been able to listen to the music in my head, but I have found that on my last few hikes, I have been repeating myself, and only remembering a small number of artists and albums. So we're going to try the boom cube and my orange nano:

I have had a 5-cd tribute-to-the-Grateful-Dead collection (various artists, but organized by The National) on my computer for 3 years now, and this will be a great opportunity to listen to it:

various artists - Day of the Dead, 2016 5-cd tribute album

A surprising amount of good music - probably only a cd's-worth needs to get deleted. WONDERFUL to get this opportunity to listen to this straight through! And it took me to the top of Allen Mountain!

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle, Vol. 1, 1976 greatest hits album


Wikipedia says that "It has sold 6,357,000 copies in the US since 1991" - well, I'm one of them!

Actually, I see that is says "... since 1991". But cd album sales have been going since 1983:

and I'm pretty sure I got a cd-player in the mid-to-late 1980's. This Creedence album was one of the first three cds I bought, when I bought the player, so that was way before 1991.

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill, 1972 debut album


and then I wiped out a couple of times coming down the mountain, which broke the boom cube (don't worry, I have another from Ellie!). So I listened to random on my purple nano on the six miles back to my car. Wonderful music - one super-standout was "Gran Torino" by Jamie Cullum from his 2009 album The Pursuit


No comments:

Post a Comment